As marketers, we are often called to demonstrate the value to the business of what we do.
It can be difficult to do this, especially when you are thinking with your marketing 'brain'. Like writing a brochure or creating an advertisement we need to consider what is important to the audience receiving this information.
The following five points, from a new ITSMA presentation titled "Making the Case for Marketing: Communicating with Senior Management" are a good start for any time you need to present back to the business what you are delivering:
- Be clear on the business' goals, context, and objectives
- Understand the internal stakeholders
- Define the contribution marketing will make and set objectives
- Develop the marketing and internal communications plan
- Measure and communicate marketing's impact